Closing Date: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 5:00 pm
Labour Group: CUPE 59
- Develops accession records, catalogues, photographs, researches, writes, and manages historical documentation of individual works of art.
- Maintains permanent collection records and database, providing recommendations on the purchase of relevant computer hardware and software, maintaining accepted gallery/museum standards and guidelines, working with Curatorial Department staff to develop catalogue entries, labels, and other text materials.
- Monitors the work of Preparators (including project workers), establishing schedules and overseeing performance for the installation of collections related exhibitions, and may have involvement in scheduling and overseeing non-collection exhibitions. Trains all new preparatory staff and participates in the hiring process.
- Monitors location and condition of works of art, prepares incoming and outgoing condition reports of all loans to the museum, and plans and maintains the museum storage areas in keeping with proper care and security procedures. Ensures that in the event of damage, works of art are professionally restored.
- Provides expert advice to assure museum standard environmental conditions are achieved: temperature, humidity and lighting levels in all areas of the facility in which art works are exhibited or stored are systematically monitored and appropriate records of the readings are maintained. Identifies and reports all irregularities to management and implements suitable conservation measures to ensure the protection of the works of art.
- Assists with preparing annual collection conservation and maintenance budgets, including special projects; drafts grant applications as required, and administers approved departmental budget and grants.
- Arranges insurance for all works in the collection and in-house exhibitions; manages shipping and customs arrangements for borrowed exhibitions and artworks and the touring of Remai Modern exhibitions; arranges appraisals and processes damage claims; prepares applications to the Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board on behalf of the Remai Modern in support of donors for income tax purposes.
- Maintains current knowledge of all legal matters pertaining to public collecting, exhibition rights, copyright, intellectual property, and related contractual arrangements.
- Acts as liaison with visiting researchers and curators regarding the collection; answers enquiries of other colleagues and those of the public, as required.
- Assists with exhibit installation and de-installation, including packing and crating, as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Degree in art, including art history.
- Three years of directly related, progressively responsible registration experience in a public art gallery or art museum, including one year of experience working with TMS collections management software.
- Thorough knowledge of current practices in collection management including the care and conservation of artworks, registration and records management in a gallery or museum environment.
- Thorough knowledge of art history.
- Knowledge of art handling, shipping and collections care.
- Demonstrated ability to direct, develop, motivate and support staff in achieving desired results.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective relationships with staff, co-workers, artists, artwork lenders and donors and professionals in the museum community.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality related to museum collections and operations.
- Ability to maintain close attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy and to detect errors quickly.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Demonstrated skill in the operation of relational databases, including the creation and design of customized reports.
- Proficient skill in the use of a computer with Microsoft Office software and TMS collections management software.
Evening and weekend work may be required
$5,403.18 to $5,957.06 per month (2018 Rates)APPLY NOW