Today’s activity is inspired by the whimsical, dreamlike work of Shuvinai Ashoona. Using images from magazines and flyers, we’ll be creating a fantastical collage that will become the reference point for a drawing. Adding ideas from our own imagination, we’ll complete the drawing using pencil crayons.
Shuvinai Ashoona draws her inspiration from the traditional Inuk way of life, as well as from TV and movies. Ashoona’s large family lived off the land, leading a nomadic lifestyle that heavily influenced her work. Her later drawings include Western influences and the impact of globalization. Ahsoona is a third-generation artist, born in Cape Dorset in 1961. She works mainly in pen, ink and pencil crayon on paper.
- Images (from magazines, newspapers, flyers, etc.)
- Pencil Eraser 8 x 11” paper (printer paper works great)
- Drawing paper of the same dimension
- Pencil crayons
- Cut out images that interest you
- Arrange the images on a paper to create a composition
- Re-draw the images on a separate sheet of paper (draw lightly at first, adding detail last)
- Add colour using pencil crayons (try inventing new colours using your imagination)